I love to make silly little cookies whenever i can and also utilise the cutters i have in the cupboard so here i have some creepy cactus cookies. These cutters are by MACStencils. One with lots of eyes, a cyclops with sharp teeth and the last cactus full of wriggly worms, these will be a hit with kids at halloween.
What you will need:
- Chocolate Cookie Dough
- Royal Icing Powder
- Fondant Icing
- Gel Food Colours
- Edible Paint or Pen
- Icing Bags (I use a zip lock bag with a clip)
- Rolling Pin
- Paintbrush (if using edible paint)
- Cut out your cookies and place on a lined baking tray in the the fridge to chill for at least ten minutes while your oven heats up. Bake as in the recipe and while the cookies are cooling make up your royal icing. In one bowl make up a thick toothpaste consistency icing for the outlines and details and in another bowl make a thinner shampoo consistency icing for flooding the cookies. Colour your icing and place into bags. When the cookies are cold, outline the cookies with the thick icing and then flood the area with the thinner icing, using a toothpick to pop any air bubbles.
2. Colour some fondant. Roll some tiny pieces of fondant between your fingers to make wriggly worms and pop them onto the wet icing of the cookie. Leave to dry.
3. Make a mouth with the coloured fondant icing and place it on to the cookie, if the royal icing is still wet it will stick, if not use a little fondant as glue to stick it on. Paint the inside of the mouth with black paint. It doesnt take long for the black paint to dry, blob the thick white icing around the mouth, close to the lip line, then using the toothpick, drag the blobs into the middle so it makes the shape of sharp teeth. Use the royal icing to create the eye and leave the cookie to dry.
4. Blob sets of eyes over the third cactus with the thick white icing and leave to dry. When the cookies are dry draw black dots on all the eyes including the cyclops’ eye. Super Quick, super easy creepy cactus cookies x