For an usual fun Halloween, try an Andy Warhol inspired bake with these Warhol Witches. If you wanted to make it into a party theme you could do the most amazing wall as a backdrop. These cookies are quite simple and as you use a variety of colours every child can find their favourite.
What you will need:
- Chocolate Cookie Dough
- Royal Icing Powder
- Gel Food Colours
- Edible Paint or Pen
- Confetti Sprinkles (or you can use your icing the cheeks)
- Icing Bags (I use zip lock bags and clips)
- Rolling Pin
- Cutters (I’m using a Witch Meri Meri cutter)
- Paintbrush (If using edible paint)
- Cut out your cookies, dipping your cutter in cornflour or icing sugar in between, so they don’t stick, and chill the cookies on a lined baking tray in the fridge for ten minutes while your oven heats up. Bake them as in the recipe and while they are cooling make up some royal icing in to two bowls, one a thick toothpaste consistency for the outlines and details, the other icing a thinner shampoo consistency for flooding the cookie. Bag your icing and once your cookies have completely cooled you can start with the black hats. Outline the hat with your thick icing and then flood the hat with the thinner icing, using a toothpick to pop any air bubbles. Once you have finished the hats leave to completely dry. I leave them overnight just to be sure as if the black icing is wet and you go onto the next step the colour can bleed.
2. For the faces, outline and flood them with your chosen colours, using a toothpick to pop any air bubbles. Now use the thick white icing to draw a line across the hats. Once the faces look dry you can add the details. For the nose, spot some thick icing on the middle of the face and using a toothpick drag a little point across the face to create a nose. Dot some thick white icing on for eyes.
3. Once dry, using edible paint or an edible pen, draw the hair strands, mouth and eye dots. Attach some confetti sprinkles with a little icing or dot some of your thick icing on for cheeks. You could use the thick icing for hair too. These delicious and cute Warhol Witches are very popular with kids and wont last long x