I take a lot of inspiration for my cookies from children’s books and one of our favourite authors and illustrators is Alice Melvin. She kindly gave me permission to use one of her illustrations to make a fox mask. This fox mask would be a great addition to a woodland party, as cake topper or for just a bit of fun.
- Cookie dough
- Royal icing
- Wilton colour gels in orange and yellow
- Black edible paint
- Baking paper
- Sharp knife
- Paint brush
- Rolling pin
- 6 Icing bags and clips
1. Using some baking paper draw a mask shape and once you are happy with your drawing cut it out. Place this on top of your rolled out cookie dough and use this as your cutting guide. You can dip your knife in some icing sugar if it’s not cutting cleanly. Once your mask is cut out, cut out some eyes and then insert two skewers into the cookie, to two thirds in, slowly and carefully.
2. Bake the cookie and while it is cooling make up two bowls of royal icing powder with some water, one a thick toothpaste consistency for the outlines and the other a thinner shampoo consistency for flooding. You will need each icing in white, yellow and orange in bags, I use Wilton gel colours, ziplock bags and clips. When the cookie is cold outline the white parts of the fox face and flood with the thinner icing, using a toothpick to get rid of any air bubbles.
3. While the white is drying, draw two small triangles in the ears with the yellow outlining icing and fill in with the yellow flooding icing.Leave to dry.
4. Once dry it’s time for the fun part, outline and flood the rest of the fox with the orange icing. Look out for air bubbles and pop any with a toothpick. I love flooding a large area! Leave to completely dry. This can take several hours.
5. Once it’s dry we can do the details. Using the thick yellow icing, make little strokes over the foxes head, going up the nose and over the eyes, in the direction it’s fur would grow.
6. Using black edible paint and a paint brush, paint on it’s black nose and some ear detail.
And there you have a fun cookie fox mask. My kids couldn’t wait for photos with it!! X